February ended in a whirl with PBDC hosting the annual Deaf Evangelism Conference. I was in the nursery most of the time, but from what everyone said it was fantastic. We had several friends from the DFW area that were here that we don't get to see often which made the weekend even more fun. Josh, Libby and Noah were among those that came and Libby and I got to have lunch together the Monday after the conference. Uninterrupted adult conversation. So nice and way underrated.
The next big thing on our calendar was Spring Break. Katie flew into Lubbock on the first Saturday of Spring Break and came to A-town with Uncle Jared, Aunt Patty, Simon and Mark. Little did she know they were coming to Amarillo for her surprise party (Her actual birthday is April 15 but we always celebrate it with her during spring break) She had told me a few years ago that she always wanted a surprise party and she was definitely surprised! The party started off with the kids decorating aprons then each decorating a mini birthday cake to eat and take home.We got the idea from a cool little bakery in Amarillo, but the price they charge was a bit much. Nelva got a mini cake pan and made the cakes and I bought the decorating stuff. Just as good if not better for way cheaper. We found out that PawPaw is quite the cake decorator...who knew! Katie got a lot of money for clothes and a Taylor Lautner shirt (squeal!) and several other goodies. There was some dancing that went on and a certain SIL (love you Patty!) who gets the award for best Ellen dance and best Robot of the night. We had so much fun and sent everyone home with a sugar high.
The next day we were sitting in church and the (heavy wooden) doors to the hall came slightly open.. I thought someone was probably peeking in to find a friend or family member and didn't think anything more of it. A few seconds later it opens wider and I see the top of a small blonde head. I kinda sat there thinking "no way" Sure enough in came Jacob and headed down the aisle towards the back of the church. I meet him in the aisle and whisked him out in the hall grateful he hadn't made a beeline for the stage where Darrell was preaching. I went down the hall to find the nursery workers in a panic looking for the escapee. They had been breaking up a toddler squabble and Jacob opened the door and closed it behind him unseen and without making a sound. Our friend Darla who was one of the workers said 'I've never lost a kid before!" I told her not to worry about it cause he was not lost, he knew exactly where he was going! He gave Darla and Destiny mini heart attacks and earned the nickname "Jacob the Ninja" from the older kids all in one day. Just another Sunday at the Deaf Church. Needless to say I will be putting knob covers in the play room very soon.
Christmas 2019
6 years ago
3 comments:
Uinterrupted adult conversation, what the heck is that!!!! I'm glad you guys had a great Spring Break!
Oh my goodness...i just had a heart attack for you. If that happened to me/james I don't know that I would be the same. Way to go for being so laid back and gracious!
happy birthday Katie! I love the pic of you and Abby. That's awesome!
and oh my gosh that cracks me up about the little escapee.
Post a Comment